In Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager 1606 (Currently in Technical Preview), you can create device categories. These can be used to automatically place devices in device collections when you are using it with Microsoft Intune (Integrated/Hybrid mode). Users are then required to choose a device category when they enroll a device in Intune. You can additionally change the category of a device from the Configuration Manager console.
You can also assign a category on a non-Intune enrolled device such as a traditional domain joined PC.
Create a set of device categories
- In the Assets and Compliance workspace of the Configuration Manager console, expand Overview, then click Device Collections.
- Right Click on Device Collections and click Manage Device Categories.
- In the Manage Device Categories dialog box, you can create, edit, or remove categories.
Change the category of a device
- In the Assets and Compliance workspace of the Configuration Manager console, expand Overview, then click Devices.
- Select a device from the Devices list and then, in the Home tab, in the Device group, click Change Category.
- In the Edit Device Category dialog box, choose the category to apply to this device, then click OK.
Associate a collection with a device category
When you associate a collection with a device category, all devices in the category you specify will be added to that collection.
- In the Properties dialog for a device collection, click Add Rule > Device Category Rule.
- In the Create Device Category Membership Rule dialog box, select the category that will be applied to all devices in the collection.
- Close the Create Device Category Membership Rule dialog box and the collection properties dialog box.
Now all devices in the chosen Category will be dynamically be part of this collection and its associated deployments